Veterans' Resources

In recognition of the sacrifice and service of Bloomfield veterans, this resource page was created to aid our vets and their families in accessing benefits. Bloomfield Veterans are entitled to a variety of services offered through the Town, State, and Federal governments.

If you are in need of additional assistance, call Bloomfield Social and Youth Services at 860-242-1895. The office is located at 330 Park Avenue, 2nd Floor. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, from 9 am until 5 pm.

Tax Relief

Veterans, disabled veterans, surviving spouses, and low-income veterans may be eligible for property tax breaks. Contact the Bloomfield Assessor's Office at 860-769-3530. 

Medical Benefits

The best way to receive veteran medical benefits is to apply in person at the information desk at the VA Medical Center in Newington at 555 Willard Avenue or call 860-666-6951. Bring discharge papers / DD214 and a photocopy of your latest tax return. Be prepared to spend some time with a benefits counselor.

You and your family may also qualify for state medical benefits or need assistance with affordable healthcare enrollment. Call Bloomfield Social and Youth Services at 860-242-1895 or visit the CT Department of Social Services or AccessHealthCT for additional information.

If you need assistance with Medicare or prescription drug plan enrollment, you can also contact Bloomfield Social and Youth Services at 860-242-1895.

Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)

If you are a service member, retiree, or dependent, DEERS registration is the key to getting your TRICARE benefits eligibility established. DEERS is a computerized database of military sponsors, families, and others worldwide who are entitled under the law to TRICARE benefits. Active-duty and retired service members are automatically registered in DEERS, but they must take action to register their family members and ensure they're correctly entered into the database. Mistakes in the DEERS database can cause problems with TRICARE claims, so it is critical to maintain your DEERS information. For additional information contact your local uniformed services personnel office at 860-292-2368 or visit Tricare to update your information online.

Stand Down

A day-long support services program for needy and homeless veterans sponsored by the Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs, held in September.

Waiver of CT Driver's License Fees

Any person in active service for one licensing period within two years of separation is eligible. Contact the Wethersfield DMV at 860-263-5700 or toll-free at 800-842-8222.

Veterans Service & Advocacy Representative

If you need assistance or have any questions about applying for your benefits, a Department of Veterans Affairs Service Officer is available. Contact the State of Connecticut Department of Veteran Affairs, Congressional District Number 1 at 860-594-6604. 

Reemployment Assistance for OEF/OIF Veterans

Employer Support for the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) - Protects reemployment rights of veterans or reservists regarding their civilian jobs. Educates, promotes and awards employers. Contact ESGR at 860-548-3295


Organization that handles more formal reemployment complaints of veterans, reservists, and National Guard members. Contact VETS at 860-263-6490.

Disabled American Veterans

Provides free, professional assistance to veterans and their families in obtaining benefits and services earned through military service and provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and other agencies of government. Contact VA Regional Office at 860-594-6612.

CT Department of Labor Office for Veterans Workforce Development

Employment assistance, veterans preference, training, job fairs, career coaching, resume preparation, and unemployment insurance. Contact 860-263-6000 or for more information.


Any combat veterans, spouses, and families can contact the Hartford Veteran's Center on 30 Jordan Lane, Wethersfield, CT at 860-563-2320 for individual/family counseling, benefits assistance/referrals, job referrals, and bereavement counseling. They also act as a liaison with other VA facilities. Their hours are Monday through Friday, from 8 am to 4:30 pm (evenings by appointment).

Military Support Program

Provides counseling assistance to citizens, soldiers, and families affected by deployment in OEF/OIF. Call toll-free 866-251-5913 for 24-hour live assistance.

Veterans Tuition Waiver Program

Certain veterans and children of MIA / POW may be eligible to attend state or technical colleges tuition free. Call the Education and Employment Center at 800-842-0229 or contact any public college or university for more information.

Soldiers, Sailors & Marines Fund

Provides temporary assistance to war-time veterans or dependents who need assistance with basic needs. Call 860-566-2677 for more information. 

Surviving Spouses & Dependents of Veterans May Be Eligible for Benefits

Contact the Veterans' Service Officer at the CT Department of Veterans Affairs at 860-721-5893 for more information or to schedule an appointment.

Burial Benefits

Veterans or spouses who predecease a veteran may be eligible for free marble headstones, delivered to the cemetery. Any reputable funeral home will have this information.

Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program (HVRP)

A program to reintegrate veterans who are experiencing homelessness into meaningful employment and to utilize service delivery systems to address the complex problems facing veterans who are experiencing homelessness. Contact Community Renewal Team (CRT) for additional information at 860-951-8770.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamps, helps low-income individuals and families afford the cost of food at grocery stores and farmers' markets. You can apply for these benefits by completing a state application form. Download an application or contact Bloomfield Social and Youth Service to pick up an application.

Aid & Attendance Pension

The Aid and Attendance Pension is the highest level awarded to a veteran or surviving spouse who requires assistance with daily living such as dressing, bathing, cooking, eating, etc. Any War-Time Veteran with 90 days of active duty, beginning or ending during a period of War, is eligible to apply for the Aid and Attendance Improved Pension. A surviving spouse (marriage must have ended due to the death of a veteran) of a War-Time Veteran may also apply. The individual applying must qualify both medically and financially. 

Infoline 211

211 is Connecticut's free information and referral service. By dialing 211, a toll-free number throughout Connecticut, callers can reach knowledgeable, multilingual staff and get information, referrals, or help in a crisis. 211 operates 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

CT Homecare Program for Elders

CHCPE helps eligible clients continue living at home instead of going to a nursing home. Applicants must be 65 years of age or older, be a CT resident, meet the program's financial eligibility criteria, and need assistance with critical needs such as bathing, dressing, eating, taking medications, toileting, etc. Referrals are accepted by telephone by calling 800-445-5394 (toll-free) or 860-424-4904 locally in the Hartford area. 

CT Homecare Program for Disabled Adults Pilot Program

The CT Home Care Program for Disabled Adults (CHCPDA) Pilot Program offers a package of home-based services to a maximum of 50 persons, aged 18 - 64, diagnosed with a degenerative neurological condition (i.e. Multiple Sclerosis, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Huntington's, Creutzfeldt-Jakob or Pick's Disease), who are not eligible for other programs, who need case management and other supportive services. Services may include: 

  • Care management services
  • Adult day health services
  • Chore services
  • Companion services
  • Home-delivered meals
  • Homemaker services
  • Assisted living services
  • Personal care attendant services

Referrals are accepted by telephone by calling 800-445-5394 (toll-free) or 860-424-4904 locally in the Hartford area.

More for Residents of Bloomfield

  • Bloomfield Assessor's Officer: 860-769-3530 - Tax Relief Programs
  • Bloomfield Leisure Services: 860-243-2923 - Recreational Programs, Annual Memorial Day Parade - Honoring Bloomfield's Veterans
  • Bloomfield Senior Services: 860-243-8361 - Recreational Activities, Minibus Transportation, Meals on Wheels, and more
  • Bloomfield Social and Youth Services: 860-242-1895 - Information and Referrals, Food Bank, Heating and Utility Assistance, Renter's Rebate, Insurance Counseling, and more
  • Prosser Public Library: 860-243-9721
  • P. Faith McMahon Wintonbury Library: 860-242-0041
  • Tobacco Valley Probate Court: 860-627-1450