Veteran's Services


It is with gratitude and pride that we launch this Veterans’ Resource Page in honor of the Bloomfield residents who have served and continue to serve our country.  We honor you and your families for the sacrifices you have made to defend our freedom.  In recognition of your service, we have created this resource guide to assist all of our Veterans and their families with accessing all of the programs and services that are available through the town, state and federal governments.  As a veteran myself, I urge every veteran to take advantage of those services provided for you through the Town of Bloomfield, not only in recognition for your service to our country, but for the benefit of your family.  Please do not hesitate to contact our Social & Youth Services Department at (860) 242-1895 if you have any questions.

Philip K. Schenck, Jr.

Town Manager


In recognition of the sacrifice and service of Bloomfield veterans, this resource page was created to aid our vets and their families in accessing benefits.  Bloomfield Veterans are entitled to a variety of services offered through the Town, State and Federal governments.

If you are in need of additional assistance, call Bloomfield Social & Youth Services at 860-242-1895. The office is located at 330 Park Avenue, 2nd Floor.  Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, from 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM.

TAX RELIEF – Veterans, disabled veterans, surviving spouses and low-income veterans may be eligible for property tax breaks. Contact the Bloomfield Assessor's Office at 860-769-3530.


The best way to receive veteran medical benefits is to apply in person at the information desk at the VA Medical Center in Newington at 555 Willard Avenue (phone number is 860-666-6951). Bring discharge papers/DD214 and a photocopy of your latest tax return. Be prepared to spend some time with a benefits counselor.

You and your family may also qualify for state medical benefits or need assistance with affordable healthcare enrollment.  Call Bloomfield Social & Youth Services at (860) 242-1895 or visit or for additional information.

If you need assistance with Medicare or prescription drug plan enrollment, you can also contact Bloomfield Social & Youth Services at (860) 242-1895 or visit .

DEFENSE ENROLLMENT ELIGIBILITY REPORTING SYSTEM (DEERS):  If you are a service member, retiree, or dependent, DEERS registration is the key to getting your TRICARE benefits eligibility established. DEERS is a computerized database of military sponsors, families and others worldwide who are entitled under the law to TRICARE benefits.  Active-duty and retired service members are automatically registered in DEERS, but they must take action to register their family members and ensure they're correctly entered into the database. Mistakes in the DEERS database can cause problems with TRICARE claims, so it is critical to maintain your DEERS information.  For additional information contact your local uniformed services personnel office at (860) 292-2368 or visit to update your information online.

STAND DOWN - A day-long support services program for needy and homeless veterans sponsored by the Connecticut Department of Veterans' Affairs held in September.

WAIVER OF CT DRIVER’S LICENSE FEES – Any person in active service for one licensing period within two years of separation is eligible. Contact the Wethersfield DMV at 860-263-5700 or toll free at 1-800-842-8222 or on the web at .

VETERANS SERVICE AND ADVOCACY REPRESENTATIVE – If you need assistance or have any questions about applying for your benefits, a Department of Veterans Affairs Service Officer is available. Contact the State of Connecticut Department of Veteran Affairs, Congressional District #1 at 860-594-6604.


Employer Support for the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) – Protects reemployment rights of veterans or reservists regarding their civilian jobs. Educates, promotes and awards employers. Contact ESGR at 860-548-3295

VETS – Organization that handles more formal reemployment complaints of veterans, reservists and National Guard members. Contact VETS at 860-263-6490.

DISABLED AMERICAN VETERANS - Provides free, professional assistance to veterans and their families in obtaining benefits and services earned through military service and provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and other agencies of government.  Contact VA Regional Office at 860-594-6612 or

CT DEPARTMENT OF LABOR OFFICE FOR VETERANS WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT – Employment assistance, veterans preference, training, job fairs, career coaching, resume preparation and unemployment insurance. Contact 860-263-6000 or  for more information.

COUNSELING – Any combat veterans, spouses and families can contact the Hartford Veteran’s Center on 30 Jordan Lane, Wethersfield, CT at 860-563-2320 for individual/family counseling, benefits assistance/referrals, job referrals and bereavement counseling. They also act as a liaison with other VA facilities. Their hours are Monday through Friday, from 8 AM to 4:30 PM (evenings by appointment).

MILITARY SUPPORT PROGRAM – Provides counseling assistance to citizens, soldiers and families affected by deployment in OEF/OIF. Call toll free 1-866-251-5913 for 24 hour live assistance.

VETERANS TUITION WAIVER PROGRAM – Certain veterans and children of MIA/POW may be eligible to attend state or technical colleges tuition free. Call the Education & Employment Center at 1-800-842-0229 or contact any public college or university for more information.

SOLDIERS’, SAILORS’ AND MARINES’ FUND – Provides temporary assistance to war-time veterans or dependents that need assistance with basic needs. Call 860-566-2677 for more information.

SURVIVING SPOUSES AND DEPENDENTS OF VETERANS MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR BENEFITS – Contact the Veterans’ Service Officer at the CT Department of Veterans’ Affairs at 860-721-5893 for more information or to schedule an appointment.

BURIAL BENEFITS – Veterans or spouses who predecease a veteran may be eligible for free marble headstones, delivered to the cemetery. Any reputable funeral home will have this information.

HOMELESS VETERANS’ REINTEGRATION PROGRAM (HVRP) - A program to reintegrate veterans who are experiencing homelessness into meaningful employment and to utilize service delivery systems to address the complex problems facing veterans who are experiencing homelessness.  Contact Community Renewal Team (CRT) for additional information at 860-951-8770 or

SUPPLEMENTAL NUTRITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (SNAP) – SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamps, helps low-income individuals and families afford the cost of food at grocery stores and farmers’ markets. You can apply for these benefits by completing a state application form.  Visit to download an application or contact Bloomfield Social & Youth Service to pick up an application.

AID & ATTENDANCE PENSION – The Aid & Attendance Pension is the highest level awarded to a veteran or surviving spouse who requires assistance with their daily living such as dressing, bathing, cooking, eating etc.  Any War-Time Veteran with 90 days of active duty, 1 day beginning or ending during a period of War, is eligible to apply for the Aid & Attendance Improved Pension. A surviving spouse (marriage must have ended due to death of veteran) of a War-Time Veteran may also apply. The individual applying must qualify both medically and financially.

INFOLINE 2-1-1 – 2-1-1 is Connecticut's free information and referral service. Simply by dialing 2-1-1, a toll-free number throughout Connecticut, callers can reach knowledgeable, multilingual staff and get information, referrals or seek help in a crisis. 2-1-1 operates 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

CT HOMECARE PROGRAM FOR ELDERS – CHCPE helps eligible clients continue living at home instead of going to a nursing home.  Applicants must be 65 years of age or older, be a CT resident, meet the program’s financial eligibility criteria and need assistance with critical needs such as bathing, dressing, eating, taking medications, toileting, etc.  Referrals are accepted by telephone by calling 1-800-445-5394 (toll-free) or 860-424-4904 locally in the Hartford area.

CT HOMECARE PROGRAM FOR DISABLED ADULTS PILOT PROGRAM - The CT Home Care Program for Disabled Adults (CHCPDA) Pilot Program offers a package of home-based services to a maximum of 50 persons, age 18 – 64, diagnosed with a degenerative neurological condition (i.e. Multiple Sclerosis, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s, Creutzfeldt-Jakob or Pick’s Disease), who are not eligible for other programs, who need case management and other supportive services.  Services may include:  care management services, adult day health services, chore services, companion services, home delivered meals, homemaker services, assisted living services or personal care attendant services.  Referrals are accepted by telephone by calling 1-800-445-5394 (toll-free) or 860-424-4904 locally in the Hartford area.


Bloomfield Assessor’s Officer:  (860) 769-3530 – Tax Relief Programs

Bloomfield Leisure Services: (860) 243-2923 – Recreational Programs, Annual Memorial Day Parade – Honoring Bloomfield’s Veterans

Bloomfield Senior Services:  (860) 243-8361 – Recreational Activities, Minibus Transportation, Meals on Wheels, and more…

Bloomfield Social & Youth Services:  (860) 242-1895 – Information & Referrals, Food Bank, Heating/Utility Assistance, Renter’s Rebate, Insurance Counseling and more…

Prosser Public Library: (860) 243-9721

P. Faith McMahon Wintonbury Library: (860) 242-0041

Tobacco Valley Probate Court:  (860) 627-1450



Newington Veteran's Hospital, 555 Willard Avenue, Newington, CT 06111

(860) 666-6951

VA West Haven Medical Center, 950 Campbell Avenue, West Haven, CT 06516

(203) 932-5711

VFW Post 1009 - Bloomfield

Hannon-Hatch VFW Post 9929, 83 South Street, West Hartford, CT 06110

(860) 953-2065 or

American Legion Hayes-Velhage Post 96, 45 Raymond Road, West Hartford, CT 06107

(860) 233-9029

Jewish War Veterans Laurel Post #45, P.O. Box 150, Bloomfield, CT 06002

(860) 242-9905

Vietnam Veterans of America - Chapter #120, Greater Hartford Chapter, P.O. Box 4136, Hartford, CT 06145-4136

(860) 568-9212 or



Click here for Summary of VA Benefits brochure:  (link to brochure)

Click here for The One Sheet Read Document:  (link to 2-sided brochure)

Connecticut Department of Veterans’ Affairs:

United States Department of Veterans

Tricare Healthcare

Pro Bono Resources for Veterans

Statewide Legal Services of CT, Inc.:  1-800-453-3320 or

Consumer Law Project for Elders:  800-296-1467 or

Click here for the Town of Bloomfield Emergency Preparedness brochure:  (link to brochure)

Click here for Town of Bloomfield Food Resources:  (link to flyer)

Greater Hartford ADA Para Transit Service: 860-724-5340 or

ITN Connecticut Dignified Transportation for Seniors:  860-758-7833 or

Veteran’s Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 (Press 1) Text to 838255